Show off your cooking skills with these two recipes! On today’s Indy Style, Erika Schlick, health coach, blogger and cookbook author, shared how to make Pistachio Crusted Cod and Italian Meatballs with Tomato Cream Sauce.
Pistachio Crusted Cod
Pistachios add bright green flair, nutty taste and crunchy texture to tender cod. Although this meal looks incredibly impressive and fit for a dinner party, it is so easy to prepare any night of the week.
Servings: 2 to 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 1 cup chopped or crushed pistachios
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil, divided
- 2/3 lb cod (Use code TRAILTOHEALTH for $15 off Wild Alaskan Seafood or 10% your order of Vital Choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 380 F
2. Mix the chopped pistachios with the garlic, capers, olive oil, lemon juice, thyme and salt to taste in a bowl.
3.Arrange the lemon slices to form a bed in the bottom of a cast iron pan or baking dish and place 1 tablespoon of the butter, ghee or coconut oil on top of the lemon where the fish will sit.
4. Place the cod on top of the lemon slices and butter, and press the pistachio mixture on top to form a crust. Top with the remaining tablespoon of butter, ghee or coconut oil.
5. Bake for 30-34 minutes or until slightly browned and easily flaked with a fork. Cover with foil at 15 minutes if the crust is browning too much.
6. Serve with Beet and Grapefruit Salad
Italian Meatballs with Tomato Cream Sauce
Juicy, homemade beef meatballs, seasoned with fresh herbs gets served with an easy dairy-free tomato cream sauce. You can serve these meatballs and tomato cream sauce over a grain free pasta or zucchini noodles for a healthy weeknight dinner!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound Ground Beef (Order grass-fed meat from Butcher Box or US Wellness Meats (15% off first 2 orders) with code TRAILTOHEALTH)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup fresh oregano
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (18-ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef with the egg, garlic, onion basil, oregano, tomato paste, and salt until combined.
3. Form into 1-inch balls with a meatball maker or by hand and place in a cast iron skillet. Bake until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
4. While the meatballs are cooking, place a sauce pan over medium heat, and combine all ingredients except for the parsley and bring to a simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Turn heat off and let it cool slightly. Blend sauce by using an immersion blender to thicken.
6. Place the cast iron skillet over medium heat and pour the sauce over and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Schlick is the author of Wandering Palate, a collection of 28 days of travel inspired healthy Paleo meals that help keep her in remission from Lyme disease and multiple autoimmune conditions. The book is a collection of recipes that helped her heal and now she is joining us from her home in Los Angeles to show us how we should be cooking to stay safe and healthy at home.
Wandering Palate is currently shipping and available on her website and Amazon: