This meal is as versatile as it is delicious! Gina Ferwerda, recipe developer and cookbook author shows us how to make her Fall Harvest Salad.
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 cup peeled and cubed kohlrabi or turnips or radish
- 1 cup peeled and cubed beets
- 1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons house seasoning
SESAME GINGER DRESSING
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Roasted Pepitas (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Add 3 sheets of aluminum foil to a baking sheet. Add cubed kohlrabi, beets and sweet potato to each piece of foil. Season with oil and seasonings, then roast for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and set aside. (I like to keep the veggies separate while roasting; otherwise, the beets will turn the rest pink.)
In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Drizzle in oils and whisk to emulsify the dressing. Set aside until ready to assemble.
Add 2 tablespoons of dressing to kale and massage well to soften the kale.
Add kale and mixed greens to a large salad dish. Add the roasted kohlrabi, beets and sweet potato, then top with quinoa. Drizzle on some dressing and sprinkle with feta cheese crumbles. Add roasted pepitas, if desired
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Mix seeds, oil and seasoning together. Please seasoned seeds on a baking sheet and roast for 12-15.
For more recipes from Ferwerda visit, nomnews.com.