INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Here’s a delicious dish made on the grill, making it perfect for Memorial Day: Syrupy, grilled pineapple sundaes with nondairy caramel sauce and toasted coconut almonds!
Ingredients for Sundae
- 4 1-inch thick pineapple rings
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Cashew milk ice cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
Ingredients for Nondairy Caramel Sauce
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the grill to medium. To make the caramel sauce, add coconut milk, maple syrup and honey to a grill-safe skillet (such as cast iron).
- Stir mixture occasionally, letting simmer and continue to cook until it reduces by half. When sauce coats the back of a spoon, remove it from heat and add vanilla and sea salt. Let cool. (Also, caramel can be made ahead of time on the stove and refrigerated until ready to use).
- Brush pineapple slices with coconut oil and then sprinkle with a little brown sugar. Lay slices flat on the grill, then brush the other side with coconut oil and sprinkle with brown sugar. Grill each side until pineapple has good grill marks and is hot and syrupy. Remove from grill.
- Place coconut flakes and almonds on a small baking sheet and toast mixture over the grill on medium-low heat.
- You’re ready to make the sundaes! Top each grilled pineapple ring with a scoop of ice cream, a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of coconut and almonds. Enjoy.