INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — This taco recipe is so delicious and easy too! Putting them in a crunchy cabbage leaf or lettuce leaf keeps them low in carbs, but still tasty.
- 1 cup grass-fed ground beef, cooked and seasoned
- 1 cup black canned beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1/4 red cabbage, peeled into 6 small cups
- 1/3 cup diced mango
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
1. If your ground beef was precooked and stored in the refrigerator or freezer, give it a quick reheat: in a saucepan, add ground beef, salsa, and beans. Add a sprinkle of sea salt if needed. Cook on medium just until warmed, about 5 minutes.
2. Scoop 1/3 of beef mixture into each cabbage cup. Divide diced mango and sliced green onion among the cabbage cups, sprinkling it on top. Add lime zest and a squeeze of fresh lime to each. If you’re making a double batch, mix mango, green onion, and lime into a small bowl, then top each cabbage wrap. Enjoy!
– If you are using plain ground beef that hasn’t been seasoned, then add a sprinkle of kosher salt, garlic powder, and dried oregano to the ground beef before mixing it into the beans and salsa
– if you’re taking this to lunch at work, keep the cabbage and mango salsa separate. Wait to heat the ground beef mixture until it’s lunch time, and the build the wraps there. This recipe transfers easily and does not get soggy – red cabbage holds up well!
– Red cabbage makes an excellent “cup” for protein to fit into, but feel free to use lettuce as a wrap too!