Medical

Live updates: Indiana reports 2nd coronavirus death

WISHTV.com will be providing live updates in this story throughout the day as more local announcements related to COVID-19 are made.

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indiana State Department of Health has announced the state’s second death from coronavirus.

ISDH says the patient was an adult over 60 from Johnson County. Privacy laws prevent further information from being released.

Indiana’s first coronavirus-related death was a woman from Indianapolis’ east side. Roberta Shelton had been at Community East Hospital since last week. News 8’s Richard Essex reports.

On Monday, it was announced that an adult over 60 from Marion County died from the virus.

A total of six new positive cases were announced, bringing Indiana’s total to 30. A total of 159 patients have been tested, up from 139 as of Monday.

The new cases are in Lake, Franklin and Marion counties. Each of those counties had two positive tests on Monday.

County-by-county breakdown of positive cases:

  • Adams – 1
  • Bartholomew – 1
  • Boone – 1
  • Floyd – 1
  • Franklin – 2
  • Hamilton – 1
  • Hendricks – 3
  • Howard – 2
  • Johnson – 3
  • Lake – 2
  • LaPorte – 1
  • Marion – 9
  • Noble – 1
  • St. Joseph – 1
  • Wells – 1

UPDATE 9:15 p.m.

Target says its stores will close at 9 p.m. daily to help replenish shelves and clean. Also, the first hour of shopping each Wednesday will be reserved for “vulnerable guests, including the elderly and those with underlying health concerns.”

UPDATE 8:29 p.m.

The coronavirus just took away what might be Craig Wyszomirski’s last season of hockey. A final chapter that had no ending until an unlikely hero decided to write her own. And what happened next was the highlight of a lifetime. News 8’s Charlie Clifford reports.

UPDATE 7:05 p.m.

“I had my backup plans for literally anything else. … I thought of everything other than pandemic.” News 8’s Sierra Hignite talks to a couple who had to cancel their Friday wedding amid restrictions to slow the spread of coronavirus in central Indiana.

UPDATE 7 p.m.

Hamilton County Clerk Kathy Williams, in a tweet, encourages voters file for absentee ballots by April 23 in advance of Indiana’s May 5 primary election.

UPDATE 6:55 p.m.

The U.S. Census Bureau effort called Count Me INdy has postponed community outreach days at libraries, community centers and organizations across Marion County until further notice.

UPDATE 6:53 p.m.

All IU Auditorium ticketed events scheduled through May 3 have been postponed. They include “Beautiful–The Carole King Musical” and the visit from David Sedaris.

UPDATE 6:42 p.m.

A leader of Versiti Blood Center of Indiana says it needs at least 560 donors a day: “We’re going to start seeing this real drop and if we don’t have donors start coming in now, we’re going to have a critical shortage.” News 8’s Travis Robinson reports.

UPDATE 6:39 p.m.

Todd Fuqua is one of about 7,000 Hoosiers living with HIV in central Indiana. ​He and his family take daily precautions against the coronavirus. News 8’s David Williams reports.

UPDATE 6:19 p.m.

Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana Inc. was challenged to raise funds in the fight against hunger in central Indiana. It raised $200,000, causing Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay to give an additional $1 million. News 8’s Randall Newsome reports.

UPDATE 5:41 p.m.

An Indiana economist tells “Inside INdiana Business,” a News 8 news-gathering partner, that the impact of the coronavirus pandemic could become worse the longer it continues. Matt Will, a professor of finance at the University of Indianapolis, says, “This impact is going to stretch through the economy and in the short-term, it’s going to be a major hit; we’ll probably see a drop in GDP the first quarter. Will it stretch into the second? It depends on how long this dilemma continues.” Read the entire story.

UPDATE 5:12 p.m.

The Indiana University Student Government Congress on Tuesday committed $100,000 from its Rainy-Day Fund to assist students with emergency financial need after the university announced the cancellation of face-to-face classes for the semester and the closure of most campus dormitories.

UPDATE 5:06 p.m.

All Plainfield town facilities are closed and non-essential staff will be granted paid time-off for the next two weeks at the direction of Robin Brandgard, the Town Council president.

UPDATES 4:55 p.m.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb says he is activating the National Guard to assist as needed with the virus response.

The Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in Plainfield has suspended its operations.

UPDATE 4:05 p.m.

Events at the Butler Arts and Events Center are cancelled through May 11.

UPDATE 3:32 p.m.

Purdue University will cancel commencement ceremonies in May, bowing to health concerns and calls for social distancing connected to the coronavirus.

President Mitch Daniels made the announcement in a letter to graduating students, “I write with news that I’m sure you all were expecting. That makes it no easier for me to deliver or for you to receive.”

He also said, “We will provide an opportunity, if you so choose, for you to take part in a future traditional ceremony, and I promise you we are hard at work to create a special, memorable and fun virtual experience for you and your families as an option for this May.”

Butler and Indiana State universities also have announced they will not have commencement ceremonies.

Ball State and Indiana universities continue to hope to hold commencement ceremonies in May.

UPDATE 3:29 p.m.

Indiana Repertory Theatre has close to the public for the rest of the 2019-2020 season. Ticket holders can access a taped performance of “Murder on the Orient Express.”

UPDATE 3:14 p.m.

DePauw University in Greencastle says it has distributed $70,000 in student emergency funds for travel, technology and other needs — with an additional $116,000 on the way. People can contribute to the fund online.

UPDATE 3:08 p.m.

The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra says it is suspending all concerts and events until late May.

UPDATES 2:56 p.m.

Southport Police Department has created the Senior Assistance Service. A voice-mail allows callers to leave their information: name, phone number and help needed. Phone number is 463-224-0183.

The National Weather Service’s Indiana offices have canceled the tornado drill test on Wednesday due to numerous reasons related to the COVID-19 virus and sheltering actions being taken by the public. “We do not want to add an extra layer of anxiety to the ongoing situation.”

All Macy’s stores will be closed by the end of the business day Tuesday.

Speedway Town Hall will be closed to walk-in customers beginning Wednesday and until further notice. Town employees will continue to work and most transactions can be done online or arranged by phone or email. When necessary, in-person meetings can be scheduled.

UPDATE 2:39 p.m.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett says the city is creating “carry-out parking only” signage for restaurants. Restaurants can get two signs to replace parking meters in front of their business by sending info to carryoutparking@indy.gov.

Requested info:

  • Business name
  • Owner name
  • Contact information
  • Parking zone
  • Restaurant location

UPDATE 12:50 p.m.

Indianapolis Public Schools has canceled the Agenda Review Session for March 17. A Board Action Session for March 19 is now closed to the public. Public comment can be made online here. The meeting will be streamed by WFYI.

UPDATE 12:45 p.m.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is closed until further notice.

UPDATE 10:02 a.m.

Indiana Catholic bishops have suspended Sunday and weekday masses.

The Archdiocese of Indianapolis sent this statement:

In light of new information and recommendations from health officials concerning the danger of the COVID-19 pandemic and the urgency to stem the spread of the virus, the five Catholic bishops of Indiana have suspended effective March 18 and until further notice all public Sunday and weekday Masses throughout the Province of Indianapolis, which is comprised of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis and the Dioceses of Gary, Evansville, Fort Wayne-South Bend, and Lafayette.

The five Catholic bishops of Indiana

Timeline of coronavirus in Indiana

  • March 6: Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) confirms the first case in Indiana. Officials say the Marion County resident had recently traveled to Boston to attend a BioGen conference as a contractor.
  • March 8: ISDH confirms a second case. An adult in Hendricks County who had also traveled to the BioGen conference was placed in isolation. Noblesville Schools announces that a parent and that parent’s children will be self-quarantining after attending an out-of-state event where someone else tested positive.
  • March 9: ISDH’s total of positive cases rises to 4. Avon Community School Corp. had announced on March 8 that a student tested positive; that case, along with another in Noble County, was confirmed by state health officials at a news conference.
  • March 10: ISDH’s total of positive cases rises to 6 as the state launches an online tracker. Purdue and Indiana universities suspend classes for two weeks beyond their spring breaks. Ball State University basketball fans learn the Mid-American Conference tourney will have no fans in the stands. Three businesses operating nursing homes in Indiana announce they will no longer allow visitors.
  • March 11: ISDH confirms four more positive cases in Indiana. The University of Indianapolis announces it will extend its ongoing spring break through March 22. The Indianapolis-based NCAA announces the men’s and women’s Final Four basketball tournaments will be conducted with essential staff and limited family attendance. The Big Ten announces all sports events, including the men’s basketball tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, will have no fans starting March 12. Ball State University announces classes are suspended for the rest of the spring semester. NBA suspends all games, including the Indiana Pacers, until further notice. Butler University extends its spring break, after which it will go to virtual classes.
  • March 12: ISDH’s total of positive cases rises 12. Taylor University cancels international and domestic spring break trips for students and faculty sponsors. Indianapolis’ annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is canceled. Gov. Eric Holcomb announces new protections that led to extended public school closings and the cancellation of large events across the state. The league including the Indy Fuel hockey team suspends its season. Indy Eleven says it will reschedule four matches, including its April 4 home opener. The NCAA cancels the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments. The Big Ten suspends all sporting events through the winter and spring seasons.
  • March 13: Gov. Holcomb announces additional actions — they included eliminating Medicaid co-pays for COVID-19 testing and lifting regulations limiting the number of work hours per day for drivers of commercial vehicles — to help stop the coronavirus. Wayzata Home Products, a Connersville cabinet maker, shut down and lays off its entire workforce due to market uncertainty associated with the coronavirus. The Indiana High School Athletic Association postpones the boys basketball tournament. Franklin College says it will have no in-person classes March 16 and 17, start online classes March 18 through at least April 5 and empty residence halls of students by 5 p.m. March 15. The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis says it will be closed March 14-28. The Indianapolis Public Library joins other libraries across Indiana and says it will close all facilities until further notice beginning at 5 p.m. March 14.
  • March 14: ISDH’s total number of positive cases rises to 15. The Indiana Gaming Commission says all licensed gaming and racing operations will close 14 days starting March 16.
  • March 15: ISDH’s total number of positive cases rises to 19, with 121 tested. St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis announces all elective, non-urgent surgeries are canceled as of Tuesday.
  • March 16: Gov. Eric Holcomb announces the first Hoosier death. ISDH’s total number of positive cases rises to 24. Holcomb closes bars, restaurants and nightlubs to in-person patrons, while carryout and delivery services will still be allowed.
  • March 17: ISDH announces the second Hoosier death. Indiana’s Catholic bishops announce the cancellation of Sunday and weekday public masses. Gov. Holcomb activates the National Guard to assist as needed with the virus response. Purdue, Butler and Indiana State universities cancel May commencement ceremonies.
  • March 18: ISDH’s total number of positive cases rises to 39. Eli Lilly and Co. says it will use its labs to speed up testing in Indiana for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The 500 Festival announces suspends all planned, in-person events scheduled through May 9. Simon Property Group closes all malls and retail properties until March 29.
  • March 19: ISDH’s total number of positive cases rises to 56. Gov. Holcomb extends Indiana’s state of emergency into May. Holcomb says all K-12 public schools will be closed until May 1 and nonpublic schools also are to close. Standardized testing was canceled. The state’s income-tax and corporate-tax payment deadline was extended to July 15. Holcomb says the state will waive job search requirements for people applying for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. The IHSAA Boys Basketball State Tournament was canceled. The Marion County Emergency Operations Center upgrades to Level 1 status.
  • March 20: ISDH reports the third Hoosier death and 23 new cases for a total of 79. Gov. Holcomb moves the state’s primary election to June 2. Indiana University says it is postponing May commencement ceremonies on all campuses. Indiana University Health says it can do limited virus testing.
  • March 21: ISDH reports the fourth Hoosier death, and 47 new cases positive for a total of 126. A total of 833 people have been tested for the virus. Indiana National Guard details how it’s working with the Department of Transportation on distribution of medical supplies to hospitals.
  • March 22: Indiana’s death toll rises to 7. ISDH reports 75 more positive cases.
  • March 23: ISDH reports 259 cases of COVID-19, up from 201 a day earlier. Gov. Holcomb orders Hoosiers deemed nonessential to “stay at home” from March 24-April 7. Eli Lilly & Co. begins drive-thru testing for the coronavirus for health care workers with a doctor’s order. Ball State University cancels the May commencement.
  • March 24: Indiana’s death toll rises to 13. Fred Payne of Indiana Workforce Development says any Hoosiers out of work, including temporary layoffs, are eligible to apply for unemployment benefits.
  • March 25: Indiana’s death toll rises 17. Indianapolis Motor Speedway announces the Indianapolis 500 is moved to Aug. 23. IndyGo suspends fares and changes its ride schedules.
  • March 27: Indiana’s death toll rises to 25. Marion County adds 192 new positive COVID-19 cases, the most of any county in the state for the day, for a total of 484. Indiana has 981 confirmed cases.

Coronavirus links

MORE STORIES

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK