Peggy Noe Stevens, the first female bourbon master taster and founder of the Bourbon Women Association, loves pairing America’s native spirit with food, entertaining with cocktails, and encouraging women to embrace their love for bourbon. She is here to talk about this year’s Bourbon & Beyond Festival, held just down I-65 in Louisville, Ky., which includes major participation by the Bourbon Women Association – a group with a thriving Indianapolis chapter.
Bourbon & Beyond, the world’s largest bourbon festival, returns Sept. 22-23 to Champions Park in Louisville, Ky. This year’s festival features 30 bourbon and food-focused experiences. Oh yeah, there’s also musical entertainment from the likes of Sting, Lenny Kravitz, Robert Plant, John Mayer, Counting Crows, David Byrne and more.
Peggy discusses the importance of women in bourbon and mixes up Bourbon Women’s Perfect Manhattan, and shows how to make it at home.
Bourbon & Beyond
o Variety of ticket packages available ranging from single day passes for $80 plus fees to 2-Day Beyond VIP package for $999.50.
o 2-Day Weekend General Admission: starting at $129.50 + fees
o 2-Day Weekend VIP: starting at $439.50 + fees
o 2-Day Beyond VIP: $999.50
o Single Day General Admission: starting at $80.00 + fees
o Single Day VIP: starting at $229.50 + fees
● Two main music stages, The Big Bourbon Bar with The Bluegrass Situation stage for bluegrass music and more than two dozen hand-selected bourbons run by The Silver Dollar; The Hunter’s Club featuring vintage bourbons dating back to the 1930s and contemporary collectibles; and Fred Minnick’s Mini Bar presented by The Bourbon Women Association showcasing craft bourbon selections.
● Enjoy pre-show activities including a Supper Club at the Ali Center, behind-the-scenes distillery tours with Mint Julep Experiences and bourbon education classes.
● Nowhere else can you find 12 master distillers and founders all together on their home turf. For the first time in America, master distillers from Jack Daniels and Jim Beam will be at the same table to dissect their products.
● Bourbon isn’t just for men either and Bourbon & Beyond embraces that showcasing the top females in the industry.
● Mint Julep Tours will be offering exclusive behind-the-scenes distillery tours for those who want to get away from the festival.
Go to www.bourbonandbeyond.com for more details and to get your tickets.
Bourbon Women’s Perfect Manhattan
2 oz bourbon
¼ oz sweet vermouth
4 dashes bitters
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and pour over ice and shake/stir. Strain in a chilled glass and garnish with a cherry. At the end, Peggy will add a splash of flavored seltzer to show how to make the texture change and lighter.