Help make the world a cleaner place
Each year since 1970, Earth Day – April 22 – has provided a timely reminder of the need to protect our planet and conserve our natural resources. This year, just in time for Earth Day, Shawn Seipler and his non-profit Clean the World Organization – invite the world to celebrate Earth Day through volunteer efforts and sustainable travel.
About: Nearly 10 years ago, the Earth Hour movement was conceived at the Hilton Sydney. Since then, thousands of Hilton properties around the world have participated in Earth Hour activities by finding creative ways to raise awareness about energy conservation and climate change – from arranging candle-lit dinners to hosting acoustic music performances for guests. This year Hilton is inviting the world to take part in the Travel with Purpose Contest will inspire others to learn more about climate change and energy conservation.About Shawn Seipler
As founder of Clean the World, Shawn launched a global hygiene revolution. As CEO, he is a business leader who advances humanitarian causes through social entrepreneurism. Shawn previously was Vice President of Sales and Marketing for an e-commerce technology company. His frequent travel led to the concept of recycling hotel soap.About Clean the WorldHistory
Clean the World was founded in 2009 by Shawn Seipler. As the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for an e-commerce technology company, Shawn traveled several days a week. The idea for soap recycling came about after Shawn learned the barely used bars of hotel soap he left behind each morning ended up in a landfill. That led to Clean the World, a Florida not-for-profit corporation under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.Mission
Clean the World has a two-part mission:
• Collect and recycle soap and hygiene products discarded every day by the hospitality industry and other sectors that generate environmental waste.
• Through the distribution of these and other donated products to impoverished people, prevent millions of hygiene-related deaths each year, reduce the morbidity rate for hygiene-related illnesses, and encourage vigorous childhood development.
We implement our mission through:
• Collecting, sorting and processing discarded soap, shampoo conditioner and lotion product donations from participating hospitality partners.
• Collection of donated hygiene products from manufacturers.
• Recycling these product donations at facilities in Orlando, Fla., Las Vegas, and Hong Kong.
• Delivering these recycled product donations to domestic homeless shelters and developing countries suffering from high death rates due to acute respiratory infection and diarrheal disease.Support
• Clean the World receives support from a variety of partners, including hotel companies, corporations outside the hospitality industry, service organizations, trade groups, and individual supporters. These partners contribute in four ways:
• Hotel recycling program fees
• Direct cash donations
• Gift-in-kind donations
SEGMENT IS SPONSORED BY HILTON