Chef Wendell: Summer berry crumble with goat’s cheese
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Celebrate Independence Day with tasty summer berries exploding with nutrition. Crimson red and dark blue berries are some favorites. Blueberries, blackberries and red raspberries are the taste of summer and create robust health. Check out this healthy and delicious recipe that incorporates some tasty berries.
Summer Berry Crumble with Goat’s cheese – assembly
6 cups mixed berries, washed (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry)
2 tbsp. Maple or brown rice syrup
Fresh mint leaves
Creamed goat’s cheese (No Cool Whip please)Date and Nut Crust
1/4 cup almonds
2 tbsp. hazelnuts, or walnuts, or pumpkin seeds
Pinch of Himalayan salt
1/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- In your food processor or Vita-Mix, pulse the almonds / hazelnuts and salt until a fine meal texture is achieved. Add the dates and process until the crust stays together when pressed between your fingers.
- Gently mix the syrup in with the berries while being very careful not to crush and break down the delicate red raspberries.
- Place the berries into individual serving glasses or bowls. Top with the crust much like you would a streusel.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and sprig of fresh mint.
- Take a 4 oz. log; add a tablespoon of water, and mix till creamy.
To hear more about his delicious recipe, click on the video.