A preview of the upcoming Indiana Derby: Meet Cheyanna, an 18-year-old horse jockey
She’s an 18-year-old horse jockey who won her first race at Indiana Grand just last year! Amber got to chat with Cheyanna Patrick about her accomplishments so far, along with Nancy Holthus, an on-air commentator for Indiana Grand Racing. It seems they both say, racing is just in their blood!Here are a few fun facts about Cheyanna!
• Has won 15 races this year and is among the track’s top 10 jockeys
• Currently studying pre-law at University of Southern Florida-Tampa and rides at Indiana Grand during the summer break – will be a junior in the fall
• Prior to becoming a jockey, she won the National Barrel Horse Association All American Youth World title at the age of 15 and was named the Indiana State Champion in the Youth and Open divisions as well as National Reserve Champion
• Her father, Gary, is Indiana Grand’s all-time leading trainer and owner; he is also a former professional rodeo rider and was a saddle bronc champion on the National Rodeo circuit
Her mother, Cindy, is a former jockey and serves as the stable’s pony rider, taking Cheyanna to the starting gate on her races for the stableAnd a few fun facts about Nancy!
• In her second year as Indiana Grand’s on-air paddock analyst, providing information and insight from the paddock during live racing
• Previously served as an on-air host and commentator for the national horse racing channel TVG (Television Games Network) based in Southern California
• A native of Arkansas and has served in several key management capacities at racetracks around the country, from Los Angeles to Chicago
• Is the current on-air racing analyst at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas during the winter months
• She is married to Paul Holthus, a top 10 trainer at Indiana Grand
Be sure and watch the Indiana Derby on WISH TV Saturday, July 18.
SEGMENT IS SPONSORED BY HOOSIER PARK AND INDIANA GRAND