News

Space heater may have sparked fire near downtown

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Three people, including an Indianapolis firefighter, were hurt in a fire near downtown Monday evening.

It happened at a home in the 1300 block of Fall Creek Parkway East around 5:30 p.m. A man told firefighters that he and his son were using a space heater when the 5-year-old saw flames.

Officials say the man tried to extinguish the fire with water before he and his son escaped through a window.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. The man and his son were transported to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital to be checked out, as was a firefighter who suffered a light steam burn. One dog was killed in the fire.

Officials say the family had no working smoke detectors in the home because of dead batteries.

Trending Headlines

MORE STORIES

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK