Make your home page

1 in custody after interstate chase

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A suspect was taken into custody Tuesday morning after a chase that went onto Indianapolis interstates and ended on the city’s southeast side.

According to police, it started when the suspect was spotted outside a La Quinta Inn on Victory Drive breaking into cars. Someone called 911, and the suspect took off on foot.

Police say the suspect ran across a highway and called a friend to pick him up. That person did so, and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers spotted the car, which is when the chase began.

IMPD and Beech Grove officers chased the vehicle on I-465 and I-74 before the it headed onto city streets.

Police were able to end the pursuit without incident. Police say the road construction in the area helped slow the suspect down. Chopper 8 flew over the scene where the suspect was apprehended at Copper Grove Drive and Five Points Road. A K-9 officer who was assisting help capture the suspect.


Police say the suspect and driver know each other. Officers aren’t sure if the driver knew about the suspect’s criminal activity, so at this time she has not been arrested.

This is reportedly the third chase within two days that police have responded to. On Monday morning officers with both Indianapolis and Beech Grove police departments say a pursuit involving a shoplifting suspect was called off four minutes before the suspect was involved in a fatal crash that killed a 63-year-old grandmother and seriously injured three others.

On Monday night officers from Boone County chased a suspect to downtown Indianapolis. Police say that chase was the result of a road rage incident where a man in a black car pointed a gun at the victim.

24 Hour News 8 discovered IMPD will cancel a chase depending on the seriousness of the offense, the time of day, vehicle speed, or if someone might get hurt.

In the most recent case that ended near Copper Grove and Five Points Road, neighbors were unwilling to talk about police chase. However, guest at a nearby hotel where it all started were not surprised by the attempted car break-ins.

“Police are here every other day it,” said a man who did not state his name but said he stayed at a nearby motel.

As of Tuesday afternoon, police have yet to identify the man police arrested.