Make your home page

Family of four escape accidental fire

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) – A family of four escaped an accidental fire on Tuesday.

According to the Columbus Fire Department, they were sent to the 3200 block of Heritage Road at approximately 8:56 p.m. after a resident of the home told dispatch her home was on fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire within an attached garage of a two story home.

The Columbus Police Department told officers all four of the family members had been inside the home and escaped on their own. A pet cat was unaccounted for.

One adult male was transported to the Columbus Regional Health Emergency Department with non-life threatening injuries.

After learning everyone was out safe, firefighters put the fire out. They then searched the home for the cat, but was not able to find it.

The homeowner told firefighters that she and her three family members were inside the home at the time of the fire. The kitchen was in the process of being remodeled and the stove was in the garage. She said her 14-year-old son was in the garage cooking food on the stove when she heard a smoke alarm. Her son then yelled the stove was on fire. The fire then spread, and the family escaped.

There was smoke damage throughout the first story and second story with minor water damage in the kitchen area. When firefighters went upstairs they found the cat under a bed. The cat was healthy and reunited with the family.

Investigators ruled the fire accidental. Damages to the home are estimated at $100,000 and $25,000 to personal items.

No one was hurt.