Make your home page

Fire sparks at Columbus assisted living center

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — Columbus firefighters were called to an electrical fire in a bathroom on Monday evening at an assisted living center.

Late Monday evening in the 4800 block of Pine Ridge Drive a fire broke out in the second story bathroom of Green Tree Living Center. Columbus Police officers on scene were able to put out the fire using a dry chemical extinguisher.

Columbus Fire Department Battalion Chief Tim Hughes said an electrical short caused the ceiling light in the bathroom to catch fire. The fire melted the plastic wiring causing smoke on the first and second floor, Hughes added.

A fan was brought in to remove the smoke.

Green Tree maintenance made repairs to the area, which had about $300 in damages. The facility has a sprinkler system and the damaged area was about 18 inches from a sprinkler.