How to stay safe using the ATM
• Try to plan your visits to an automatic teller during the day, rather than after dark.
• Choose an ATM location that is in a busy public place.
• Avoid making withdrawals in isolated areas.
• If at all possible, take along a friend who can watch the surroundings while you are conducting your transactions.
• Pre-plan your transaction carefully and don’t spend too much time at the machine.
• When you make a withdrawal, quickly place the money in your purse or wallet and leave as soon as you finish your transaction.
• Watch out for suspicious looking people waiting around an ATM. They may not really be customers. If someone offers to let you go ahead of them, decline politely and leave.
• When visiting a drive-thru ATM, keep your doors locked and be prepared to drive away quickly. If anyone approaches your car on foot, roll up your window and drive off.
• If you have not finished your transaction, and you are approached by a suspicious character, press the CANCEL button, retrieve your card, and leave quickly.Source: Greenwood Police Department.