Make your home page

Multiple ‘suspicious devices’ found in Fishers, Westfield parks

WESTFIELD, Ind. (WISH) – Everything was running smoothly at MacGregor park on Tuesday evening. Joggers were hitting the path and Gwyn Herrick was wrapping up her daily stroll with her dog Chloe.

“I come everyday after work, walk all the loops, the dog,” she said.

The more than three miles of trails feature beautiful sights. But there was something deep in the park that didn’t match the scenery.

Just after 10 a.m. Tuesday, police in Westfield were called to MacGregor Park on a report of two suspicious packages that were found.

“We got a phone call at our office early this morning from a walker saying that they saw something suspicious,” said Danielle Carey Tolan, Westfield Washington Township Trustee. “We took action and just sent it to our public officials to let them know that somethings up and we want to make sure this parks safe.”

Soon after, only the Indiana State Police bomb squad was allowed down the trail. They found two devices described as cans with wires and tape around them, shocking news for Herrick.

“This is supposed to be a safe place and it always has been,” she said.

“It scares me that somebody would do something like that in a public space and that they would try to endanger somebody,” said Carey Tolan. Even though it had her worried, she was glad the walker was willing to call in the suspicious package. She hopes others will do the same. Herrick said you can count on her to do just that.

“We all need to watch each others back,” Herrick said.

Just before noon on Tuesday, the Indiana State Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team began to work to find out if the devices were dangerous. MacGregor Park was closed during the investigation. As of 1:45 p.m., the police had ended its investigation in Westfield. The devices were X-rayed and investigators determined someone had built devices with the intent that they explode, but they were inoperable and may have never been operational as explosives.

The devices were described as cans with attached wires wrapped in tape. No suspects were identified, and the investigation is ongoing.

A short time after the Westfield investigation began, police were called to 131st Street and Olio Road in Fishers for what was described as a suspicious device. A bomb squad was called to the area to investigate.

Police asked people to avoid the area until the investigation is complete. It was not clear if the Fishers and Westfield incidents were connected.

No one was evacuated in the Fishers area. Several businesses and homes were located near where the Fishers package is at. Officers said the package was located in a park, near the sculptures. A robot was deployed to investigate.