What’s happening this spring in Downtown Indy?
Jacqueline Eckhardt, Director of PR & Engagement, Downtown Indy, gives us a look at this year’s events:
On The Downtown Canal Walk:
• Sunset Cinema on the Canal – Thursdays, May 16, June 20, July 18 & Aug. 22
o Indy Film Fest and Downtown Indy, Inc. have partnered for Sunset Cinema on the Canal. Everyone is invited to watch FREE outdoor movies along the Canal. A large movie screen will be located on the north end of the Canal near the Admiral Spruance Basin (11th Street).
Movie-goers are invited to bring blankets/chairs and picnics to enjoy the movies on the grassy areas. In addition, food and soft drinks will be available to purchase near Canal 337 by Thomas Caterers from 7:30 – 9 p.m. For those interested in an in-water, one-of-a-kind experience, individuals age 21+ can pay $20 and receive a floating innertube (to keep) to watch the movie in the Canal, along with two Sun King beers. In-water participants can register at the above links. Innertubes are limited. Pre-registration is required.
o The movies are:
• May 16: Grease (PG-13)
• June 20: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (PG)
• July 18: Splash (PG)
• Aug. 22: Days of Thunder (PG-13)
• Sunrise Yoga on the Canal presented by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield – Wednesdays, June 5 – Aug. 28, 6 – 6:45 a.m.
o Start the day off with Sunrise Yoga on the Canal presented by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, in partnership with Invoke Studio, from 6 – 6:45 a.m. BYOM (bring your own mat) and salute the sun on the Vermont Street Plaza on the Canal. Free parking is available at the parking meters off Senate until 7 a.m. All fitness levels are welcome.
• Brickyard Pit Stop Paddle – Thursday, Aug. 22
o Businesses, friends and/or families will form teams of eight to race in pedal boats on a portion of the Canal. The goal is to have 16 or more teams participate. Races will start at 5 p.m. and are structured with four team members starting near the Ohio Street bridge, pedaling and paddling to the New York Street bridge to switch places with the four remaining team members to race back to the start. The single-elimination bracket will narrow down Indy’s best and culminate in a championship race between the top two teams.
On Georgia Street:
• Downtown Indy, Inc.’s Workout Wednesdays presented by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield – Wednesdays, May 1 – Sept. 25, noon – 12:45 p.m.
o Your favorite Georgia Street FREE fitness classes are back! Downtown Indy, Inc. has partnered again with the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis to provide fun cardio classes on the Boardwalk. All fitness levels are welcome and water is provided.
• Downtown Indy, Inc.’s Food Truck Fridays Driven by ChooseYourChevy.com – Fridays, May 3 – Aug. 23, 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Head down to the Boardwalk every Friday for lunch al fresco. Your favorite food trucks will be parked on Georgia Street between Capitol Avenue and Illinois Street. See you there!
You can use downtownindy.org and @IndyDT on Twitter and @DowntownIndy on Facebook + Instagram.