News

Woman injured in south side house fire

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A woman was badly hurt in a fire Monday morning after fire officials said she fell asleep smoking near an oxygen tank.

Firefighters responded at 7:42 a.m. to the home in the 1200 block of Knox Street on the city’s south side. Although firefighters had the fire under control within 10 minutes, a 56-year-old woman was taken to Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition. The woman fell asleep smoking while also using oxygen, Indianapolis Fire Department officials said. The mattress caught fire, and the fire was contained to the bedroom.

The fire left an estimated $10,000 worth of damages.

MORE STORIES

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK