Indiana highlights unemployment overpayment waiver option
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The state of Indiana is highlighting a process allowing unemployment recipients to skip paying back any overpayments.
- CLICK HERE for the overpayment waiver form in English
- CLICK HERE for the overpayment waiver form in Spanish
The unemployment payback demands have been the focus of a series of I-Team 8 stories.
Surrounding states, including Ohio and Kentucky, have highlighted programs that allow residents to avoid being forced to repay some unemployment benefits.
A Department of Workforce Development spokesperson says Indiana has a similar process in place this year, including federal pandemic unemployment payments.
The overpayments can be waived under the following conditions:
- Benefits were received without fault of the individual
- Benefits were paid during a pending appeal where recipient was later declared ineligible, or by error of the department or employer
- Repayment would cause the individual economic hardship
The form must be returned to the Department of Workforce Development by mail or fax.
- Tell us about your unemployment issues
- I-Team 8 finds people forced to repay more unemployment benefits than they received
- Senators: Indiana leaders need to end silence on unemployment benefit overpayments
- Attorney: Time for Indiana to cut people slack on unemployment benefit repayments
- Surrounding states waiving unemployment repayments, but not Indiana
- News 8 gets 600+ complaints about unemployment benefits; some eye legal action
- News 8 receives 450 complaints about Indiana’s unemployment system in 2 days
- Workforce Development could resume pandemic unemployment benefits by Friday
- Mom’s unemployment Facebook group helping thousands get paid
- Government contractor among Hoosiers told to repay pandemic unemployment benefits
- How the Department of Workforce Development stonewalls Hoosiers
- Hoosiers wait for judge’s decision on federal unemployment benefits
- Self-employed recipients of pandemic aid get requests to pay back money
- Hoosiers in limbo amid court battle over federal unemployment benefits
- Workers to appeals court: let federal unemployment payments resume
- Indiana asks appeals court to block expanded federal unemployment ruling
- DWD: Stay tuned for federal unemployment benefits put in question by judge
- Indiana DWD, Holcomb yet to reveal extent of unemployment fraud, unpaid claims
- Indiana fares better than most states with unemployment fraud
- Jobless benefits delayed 15 weeks and counting for Army reservist from Indianapolis
- Indiana Workforce Development says 23% of jobless claims are fraudulent